I am a jazz musician and teacher. From classic jazz standards suitable for an elegant cocktail hour, to high-energy swinging tunes for dancing, I can create a combo designed to meet the needs of your club or event. I am also available to play solo piano. Listen to samples of some of the types of groups I can put together. Contact me to put together a duo, trio, quartet, large group or whatever you require. Or visit me on Facebook to see where I’ll be performing.
I am also available for private lessons on a variety of instruments, my specialties being upright bass, saxophone, and piano and I instruct ensembles from small groups to big bands. Contact me for availability.
I hold a Master of Music in String Performance and Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies from Bowling Green State University. My experience and credits include the following:
- I am on the Jazz Studies faculty at Cuyahoga Community College where I teach courses including applied bass and piano, performance ensembles, class piano, class guitar, and Rock and Roll history.
- More than a decade’s worth of experience teaching for Tri-C’s Jazz Preparatory Program, as well as Tri-C’s “Summer With The Jazz Masters” camp.
- Current instructor for the All City Jazz Band as part of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
- Past instructor for the Center for Arts-Inspired Learning’s ArtWorks program, leading a group of jazz “apprentices,” mentoring them in music while working on 21st century skills.
- Designed a jazz improvisation course for saxophone camp, coached combos for jazz camp, and instructed double bass techniques for string students at BGSU summer music camps as well as Jazz Studies majors.
- Four years as an Artist in Residence at the Cleveland School of the Arts, where I was Director of Bands and Jazz Ensemble.
- Instructor for the instrumental music after-school program for the 21st Century Community Learning Center and Young Audiences of Greater Cleveland.
- Taught saxophone and bass at The Fine Arts Association in Willoughby, as well as the Beck Center for the Arts.
- Have performed with nationally known artists such as Jimmy Heath, Carl Allen, the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Kim Nazarian, Howard Johnson, Doug Lawrence and Chico Hamilton.
- Have been recorded on Cadence Records, which received four stars in a review in Downbeat magazine.
- I perform professionally around the Cleveland/Akron area with my group, Red Light Roxy, as well as performing with many other musicians around town and playing solo piano at the Velvet Tango Room on Monday nights.
Influences include Paul Chambers, Ray Brown, Gary Peacock, Charlie Haden, Wayne Shorter, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Keith Jarrett, Ray Charles, Dexter Gordon and the Bobo Stenson Trio.